Condoms can help protect against sexually transmitted infections and HIV.
They need to be used correctly and the use of lube with a condom is recommended. This can prevent slippage of the condom (that may cause seepage or bursting), they can also make sex more comfortable and prevent bruising and tears/abrasions that may make infection more likely.
Key points about condoms:
- Always put the condom on before you start to have penetrative sex.
- Never use two condoms together or a condom more than once.
- Never use a condom that has damaged packaging.
- Always remember to check the best before date on the condom - invest in a new condom if you are not sure.
- Oral sex using a condom can protect against many STI's - try using flavoured condoms for variety.
- Condoms come in all shapes, sizes, colours, flavours and scents – so experiment to find one that works for you.
- Condoms can be used with sensation enhancing lubrication to enhance pleasure.